Monday, April 7, 2008

Potential

Like most of life's deep discussions, they arise out of the most unexpected of places. In this case, it was a glass of Hawaiian punch & Bacardi Razz. Petro and I sat on the couch of the Nassfarm's front porch and enjoyed our spacious view of the Plastic Factory with an occasional breeze making it's way up the brown and white steps. Chillin' aint easy. It's hard to trace how our talk began because of the numerous tangents our conversation held. Unfortunately, most were lost to memory - but you know what they say - survival of the fittest. And I think I got a keeper. After two hours of chaotic wisdomizing, Petro and I came to the following theory:

1) Potential is unlimited

It's simple. Nothing extraordinary. But a radical revelation in my quest for understanding. Before today, I had never contemplated "potential" in such a manner. I had heard a lot of thing about potential, but never questioned it myself. It reminded me, strangely, of the elementary school epoch: hearing and timidly accepting the rumors about Poe as true while never daring to confront him directly. Luckily I'm now a freshmen in college, and have finally puckered up enough courage to confront Poe directly.


He told me some strive for perfection, but the reality is that that perfection will never be reached. He told me to tell you, however, that this doesn't mean it shouldn't be striven for. Don't worry, I had the same reaction:

"But Poe, if we can never reach our true potential as humans, why should I even bother trying?

The man (You should see Poe now, he looks drastically different!) gave me the following response. He told me the reason why "I should bother" is because if we do strive to reach our potential, while it may not be obtainable in the literal sense, we ultimately push ourselves harder to exceed those limits and in the process can reach further than we thought possible. I learned a lot from Poe and Petro. They taught me a valuable lesson: while we can become better, we can't become "the best," simply because there will always be room for improvement.

But the realization has sparked in me grave contemplation, for what other truths about my childhood friends have I blindly accepted? Aiy, how the world is so much easier to understand when you're in the fourth grade.

No comments: